My research work is focused on development of genomic and phenomic resources for wheat breeding. As part of a multi-institution collaborative USAID project, I have conducted field-based high-throughput phenotyping experiments in South Asia and Kansas. I have developed R based image processing workflows to extract key phenotypic traits in wheat breeding experiments. Using the image-derived traits, I have validated whole-genome prediction models for lodging and spectral traits on multi-environment trials. Together with colleagues at Poland Lab and outside, I have actively contributed in the testing and implementation of HTP data acquisition protocols and standard operating procedures on ground in CIMMYT’s International wheat breeding nurseries.
- Quantitative Genetics
- Predictive Analytics
- High-throughput Phenomics
Education and Training
Ph.D. (Genetics) 2014- current
- Kansas State University, Interdepartmental Genetics, Kansas, USA
- Specialization: Wheat Breeding, Genomic Predictions,
High-Throughput Phenotyping, GIS, and Unmanned Aerial Systems
- Major Advisor: Dr. Jesse Poland
M.S. (Crop Physiology) 2010- 2013
- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
- Specialization: Crop Drought and Heat Stress Physiology,
- Major Advisor: Dr. Maria Balota
B.Sc. (Agriculture Honors) 2006- 2010
- Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India
- Specialization: Crop Breeding and Genetics
- Singh, D., X. Wang, U. Kumar, L. Gao, M. Imtiaz, R. Singh, and J. Poland. Genetic dissection of high-throughput phenotyping-enabled crop lodging in Triticum aestivum. (Submitted).
- Wang, X., D. Singh, S. Marla, G. Morris, and Jesse Poland. Field-based high-throughput phenotyping of plant height in sorghum using different sensing technologies. (Submitted).
- Haghighattalab, A., L. González Pérez, S. Mondal, D. Singh, D. Schinstock, J. Rutkoski, I. Ortiz-Monasterio, R.P. Singh, D. Goodin, J. Poland. (2016) Application of unmanned aerial systems for high throughput phenotyping of large wheat breeding nurseries. Plant Methods 12(1): 1-15.
- Singh, D., M. Balota, E. Collakova, T.G Isleib, G.E. Welbaum, S.P. Tallury (2016) Heat Stress Related Physiological and Metabolic Traits in Peanut Seedlings. Peanut Science 43(1): 24-35.
- Singh, D., E. Collakova, T.G. Isleib, G.E. Welbaum, S.P. Tallury and M. Balota (2014) Differential physiological and metabolic responses to drought stress of peanut cultivars and breeding lines. Crop Science. 54:2262-2274
- Singh, D., T.G. Isleib, E. Collakova, G.E. Welbaum, and M. Balota (2014) Suitability of Canopy temperature depression, specific leaf area, and SPAD chlorophyll content for genotypic comparison of peanut grown in a sub-humid environment. Peanut Science. 41:1-11.
- Tallury, S. P., T. G. Isleib, S. C. Copeland, P. R. Anderson, M. Balota, D. Singh and H. T. Stalker (2013) Registration of two multiple disease-resistant peanut germplasm lines derived from Arachis cardenasii Krapov. & W.C. Gregory, GKP 10017. Journal of Plant Registrations. 8:86-89.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems for Accelerated Genetic Gains in Breeding. Mahyco Seeds Co. Research Center, Jalna, India; Dec 15, 2017.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems for Rapid Quantification of Lodging in Wheat Breeding. Excellence in Breeding module IV, IRD, Montpellier, France; November 7, 2017.
- 2nd prize, Photo Competition Crop Science, Crop Science Soc America, Tampa, FL (Oct 2017)
- 1st place, Poster Competition C01/C07 Division, Crop Science Soc America, Tampa, FL (Oct 2017)
- 2nd place, Poster Competition, National Association of Plant Breeders, Davis, CA (Aug 2017)
- Recipient, Nunemacher Graduate Scholarship ($1500), College of Agriculture, KSU (Aug 2017)
- Recipient, Tillman Family Award ($6000), Plant Path Department, KSU (Jul 2017)
- 3rd place, Graduate and Post-Doc Elevator Speech Contest, CSSA, AZ (Nov 2016)
- Recipient, K-State Graduate Student Council Travel Award ($500), KSU (Nov 2016)
- Recipient, Board of Int'l Food and Ag Development Award for Scientific Excellence, IA (Oct 2016)
- First team position, University Quiz competition, Punjab Agricultural University, India (Oct 2009)
- First position, South Asian Field Hockey Championship, Amritsar, India (Oct 2008)
- Recipient, College of Ag Merit Scholarship, Punjab Agricultural University, India (Fall 2007)